POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pov64 - linux advice wanted please! : Re: pov64 - linux advice wanted please! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:29:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov64 - linux advice wanted please!
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 3 Dec 2005 17:17:01
Message: <4392195d$1@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:

> I guess my biggest problem is I don't know how I'm going to use it. I
> suspect what I want is to switch to linux for rendering and text editing pov
> files, and use windows for everything else. But of course if I get a distro
> of linux which gives me a nice way to do regular computing then I might use
> it exclusively and leave windows alone. I don't know what I want to use it
> for and I don't know how to figure that out except by talking to people who
> already use linux for pov.

More on that, you will want to use it for normal websurfing etc while
poving. Or do you say that you've never surfed to find some answer for a
prob while POVing? Eg. for me, reading POV online manual is pretty
normal while POVing :).

And when your computer is calculating The Big Image, you might want to
do something while it's doing it(1). Eg. you could dig your way deeper
and deeper of Linux-knowledge ;).

Finally, I'd guess you don't want to get the reboot-delay every time you
want to do something else, if it's possible on the currently running
system. So I'd say, go for a usable desktop, that's what you'll most
propably want someday.

(1) 124:45:15 Rendering line 295 of 5200, 24901 rad. samples

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
   http://www.zbxt.net